Discovering and Delivering Compassionate, Coordinated Care
We offer you the most advanced screening and treatments for lung cancer at UMass Memorial Cancer Center, located in Worcester, MA.
Our experienced cancer specialists come together as a team to develop a complete and personalized treatment plan offering a multidisciplinary approach. We treat the most common as well as rare and complex types of lung cancer including:
- Nonsmall cell lung carcinoma
- Small cell cancer, also called oat cell carcinoma
- Carcinoid tumors
- Bronchoalveolar carcinoma
- Metastatic cancers to the chest
In addition, because of our highly accurate lung cancer staging (defining the degree cancer has advanced at the time of diagnosis, aiding long-term survival), you can feel confident that the treatment plan recommended for you is the best one for the type and stage of your lung cancer. Accurate staging is a critical factor in selecting treatment options, deciding on a path to recovery and ensuring the best possible result for you.
Before, during and after treatment, our medical staff works with you and your family to ensure full involvement in your care and recovery.
The following are just a few of the many advanced treatments and technologies our team provides you:
- RapidArc™, an advanced radiation treatment technology, allows our radiation oncologists to more precisely treat tumors with less damage to nearby tissues.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery enables our cancer specialists to deliver high doses of radiation with precision and accuracy.
- Robotic thoracic surgery, particularly robotic lobectomy (removal of lobe), is used for appropriately selected lung cancer cases.
- Our thoracic surgeons are among the nation’s first to perform robotic thoracic surgery. Ours is one of the first hospitals in the United States performing this advanced procedure.
UMass Memorial Taking Part in National Pilot Study
Our Medical Center is among a group of six hospitals to join a national pilot study to promote evidence-based evaluation and treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Patients with this type of lung cancer are candidates for an operation called pulmonary lobectomy. This treatment model has been applied to other disease sites where it has significantly increased medical teams’ adherence to evidence-based care standards, improved patients’ clinical outcomes and engaged patients as participants in their own care. Learn more.
Ambulatory Care Center
To match the world-class care provided for you, many outpatient cancer care services are located in our Ambulatory Care Center, which offers:
- Spacious and comfortable waiting, treatment and exam rooms
- Private and semi-private infusion rooms
- Quiet contemplative space
- Beautiful views of Lake Quinsigamond
A System Approach
To learn more about our lung cancer care, call our HOPE Line at 866-597-HOPE.
Cancer care is also provided at UMass Memorial Health Care community hospitals: