Rheumatologists on staff at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester offer a full range of medical services in the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, bones and muscles. Areas of expertise include but are not limited to:
- Arthritis associated with inflammatory bowel diseases
- Diseases which cause inflammation of the spine (ankylosing spondylitis and related conditions)
- Diseases which cause inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis) including but not limited to giant cell (temporal) arteritis, Wegener's granulomatosis, hypersensitivity vasculitis and cryoglobulinemia
- Gout, pseudogout and other crystal-induced arthritis
- Inflammatory diseases with muscular involvement (polymyalgia rheumatica, polymyositis/dermatomyositis)
- Inherited disorders of connective tissue
- Osteoarthritis (also known as degenerative arthritis or "wear and tear" arthritis)
- Osteoporosis and other bone diseases
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Scleroderma (local and systemic sclerosis)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and other forms of lupus
Patients of UMass Memorial Medical Group rheumatologists receive care in a newly renovated Rheumatology Center, situated in the West Wing, Memorial Campus. The new center consolidates administrative and clinical outpatient rheumatology services and enhances collaboration and sharing of clinical information between our team of highly regarded physicians and support staff.
Featuring a patient-friendly design, the center provides spacious waiting and exam rooms, on-site phlebotomy services and new computer technology. It is conveniently located near radiology, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanning and other diagnostic services.
The Rheumatology Center serves as a training site for medical residents and post-residency rheumatology fellows of UMass Medical School. Its physicians and staff maintain a close working relationship with area rheumatologists and with other physicians and surgeons in the UMass Memorial Spine and Arthritis and Joint Replacement Centers as well as throughout the UMass Memorial system. The Department of Rheumatology and the Division of Orthopedics and Physical Rehabilitation collaborate within the UMass Memorial Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence in the care of patient, as well as on basic science and clinical research projects.